Monday, November 29, 2010

All Abroad With My Language

I am about to spend a year abroad in Brazil and must learn Portuguese in about two weeks. What do I do? The first step I take is to go out and buy one of those DVDs that help you learn foreign languages fast and easy. I will create a schedule for me to watch and learn Portuguese at least two hours a day. If I watch these videos and repeat what they say I am sure I will start to pick up the basics of Portuguese quickly. However, I must stay committed and not give up when I become frustrated. Next I will go out and practice my Portuguese. I will go out to restaurants and see if I can order food in Portuguese. I might go out to a bookstore and see if I can read a Portuguese book. Learning Portuguese for me will consist of hearing and then practicing with other people. If I don't practice then I will not get the hang of it. Practicing with other people is important because they can interact with me in a way that the DVD/ television ca not. They can give me extra pointers and point out what I am doing wrong. I will have an advantage in learning Portuguese because I know Spanish and Portuguese consists of some similarities to Portuguese. If I follow theses steps I should pick up Portuguese quickly for my year abroad trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment